Hi There! Welcome to Erica's Blog!!

Welcome to My World

This is somewhere I voice my feelings & thoughts.
Do respect my thoughts & refrain from unnecessary comments.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tell the Truth all the Time


Normally in the readings of the day I would never focus much on the readings but mostly on the Gospel. But somehow today's reading hit me. It touched me quite deep & set me thinking about things. The readings was taken from 1 John 1:5 - 2:2

God is light, and in him there is no darkness at all.
If we say, “We have fellowship with him,”
while we continue to walk in darkness,
we lie and do not act in truth.

When i opened the page of the readings & I reflecting on this passage. It made me realize that whenever, as humans, we always say "we are Catholics" a loyal follower of Christ, a believer and a person who attends mass every day or every week. But how much do we act in the truth? and in fact walk in the light of Christ. I remember at con camp my Godson told me, "I am not a catholic". I got quite defensive at first coz I always believe that once we are baptize into this family of God we are forever catholics. But as I pondered about this passage what he says kinda make sense to me. The reason for him not admitting to be a "catholic" was the way he felt he has / was lead his life - in darkness and lost in experiential part of his faith - as well as the in ability to comprehend the God whom we all talk about. As I sat here thinking these questions, I tot to myself how many of us really are able to comprehend God - ZERO ! How many of us who admit to be Christ followers, really walk in the Light? Are we really Christ Followers or are we Hypocrites?


But if we walk in the light as he is in the light,
then we have fellowship with one another,
and the Blood of his Son Jesus cleanses us from all sin.

But what exactly is the "Light" we are talking about ? John 3:19 , 17:17 and Eph 5:8 talks about the same light. Light is to be understood as truth and goodness; darkness here is error and depravity. I simply can't imagine living life in darkness, deceit and where backstabbing, bitch fighting occurs constantly. I recall Fr Yim said this phrase at a baptism mass a couple of weeks ago "Tell the truth, ALL the TIME, coz God is Truth"

To walk in light or darkness is to live according to truth or error, not merely intellectual but moral as well. Sometimes in life we might just forgo our moral standards to live according to the expectations of society. But when we are baptize into this family of God, we are called to Fellowship with God and with one another. Upholding a life according to the truth as found in God and in Christ. BUT than this may seem easy for me to just type on the blog but it is never easy to carry out. So how? That's where in our incapability, we rely on the HOly spirit and God to help us live a life of truth.


If we say, “We are without sin,” we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we acknowledge our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from every wrongdoing.

Since we are called to live a life of Truth, we need to know what the conditions of sins are. However the delibrate denial of the condition of sin is self-deception and even contradictory of divine revelation; - hence it is like a sin over another sin. There was someone who told me that they don't find what they have done sinful. I stood there frozen for a few mins & I wondered how could that be so. I guess how I would reply to that person would be to think of all those things we have done in our lives and how has it showed ourselves to be faithful and loving to God?

If we say, “We have not sinned,” we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Well like we all should have by now know that we are all sinners & we by saying at the point of confession that we have no sin, we are lying. But none the least what marvels me the most is the constant love and mercy Christ has for us to be able to absorb us off all our sins no matter how unfaithful and unloving we are to HIM. Can you think of the times you someone has hurt you, was it easy to say , I forgive you & lets forget about the incident and move on? What made you do that? At the end of this I too stopped and think , though we may at times be hypocrites or sinners, God still loves us. All the same.

Forgiveness and deliverance from sin through Christ are assured through acknowledgment of them and repentance.

My children, I am writing this to you
so that you may not commit sin.
But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father,
Jesus Christ the righteous one.
He is expiation for our sins,
and not for our sins only but for those of the whole world.

I like this last part of the reading coz it really sums it up for me - to be ever ready for his kingdom to remain in the state of grace at all times with him in order to enjoy his mercy and love. and

"TELL THE TRUTH ALL THE TIME"

No comments: