Hi There! Welcome to Erica's Blog!!

Welcome to My World

This is somewhere I voice my feelings & thoughts.
Do respect my thoughts & refrain from unnecessary comments.

Thursday, December 30, 2010


Dear God,

Yet another interesting day out. With friends, work colleagues and even play. I even saw u at mass though I know I was talking most of the time. But as we had our thanks giving party today, I am glad to see our confirmands having a fun time. Though there were indeed many ups and downs, I do thank you for the life you gave me this past year. Thank you for using me as your instrument.

Loves,
Your daughter

1 John 2:15 - 17

Do not love the world or the things of the world.
If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
For all that is in the world,
sensual lust, enticement for the eyes, and a pretentious life,
is not from the Father but is from the world.
Yet the world and its enticement are passing away.
But whoever does the will of God remains forever.

This passage really hit me hard at mass today & as I stood there reflecting on these words, I tot to myself, "to what extend am I attached to the world?" a question i used to ask myself when I was in secondary school & polytechnic. Somehow I used to tell my parents that I if one day Jesus was to take me, know that I am happy where I am. I am ready & I know he is going to take care of me. But in some point in time, this started to change. Reality starts to set in, fear of worldly detachment sets in. I always ask for one more day rather than refusing his offer. Guess this passage was a wake up call to my insensitivity to HIM. It also shows me my failings as a product of God especially when I get suck into the world, conforming to its needs & wants. How about you ? How are you surviving in this world? Are you hostile towards God and alienated from him?

Well Loving of the world and loving of God are thus mutually exclusive. Loving the world & all that is within , is indeed good. BUT have you ever thought... if one day, just one day all these "beautiful" things fade away - what is left of you? Who is going to take care of you. None other that the one who created you. But Loving God is another thing, He has no other condition but to ask of us to love the people he has placed in our lives. Today we are once again challenge to do the will of God. Sometimes, the will of God really requires for us to love those who are hardest to love, to shed light onto people who find it hard to feel the presence of HIS love.

But of coz, this reading also talks on the Sensual lust that one may have. This includes "the lust of the flesh," inordinate desire for physical gratification. Enticement for the eyes: literally, "the lust of the eyes," ; the eyes are regarded as the windows of the soul. Pretentious life: literally, "pride of life," arrogance or ostentation in one's earthly style of life that reflects a willful independence from God and others.

No comments: