Hi There! Welcome to Erica's Blog!!

Welcome to My World

This is somewhere I voice my feelings & thoughts.
Do respect my thoughts & refrain from unnecessary comments.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

SERVANT LEADER

Mt 23:1-12

Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, saying,
“The scribes and the Pharisees
have taken their seat on the chair of Moses.
Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you,
but do not follow their example.
For they preach but they do not practice.
They tie up heavy burdens hard to carry
and lay them on people’s shoulders,
but they will not lift a finger to move them.
All their works are performed to be seen.
They widen their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels.
They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues,
greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation ‘Rabbi.’
As for you, do not be called ‘Rabbi.’
You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers.
Call no one on earth your father;
you have but one Father in heaven.
Do not be called ‘Master’;
you have but one master, the Christ.
The greatest among you must be your servant.
Whoever exalts himself will be humbled;
but whoever humbles himself will be exalted.”

Reflecting on the gospel today, Jesus is telling of the oxymoron of leaders in the past. They want to be leaders but yet they do not lead by example. However Jesus is also saying obedience to the authority and those above you. Jesus also mentioned that he is the Messiah and leader.

To me a leader is one who is able to be humble but yet at the same time able to stand firm to his believes. One who is also able to lead by example. I recall Bro Alphonsus once telling me, the greatest teacher is not anyone on Earth but Christ himself. His humility, his prayerful way of life and even his servant leadership is one I learn and take after as a teacher myself. His death on the cross shows us to what extend he is willing to die but at the same time the greatest lesson learnt of all.

Last time when I was in my previous school and the starting of this school, I use to ask God for his help and guidance but now I guess it has slowly faded off my mind and this gospel is a wake up call for me. Everyday before I go to school to ask the Lord for his guidance and help, to walk in front of me , to clear paths for me. Trust me, it works wonders having to know that someone is journeying with you throughout the day. You would do things out of LOVE and not Obligation.
I guess when I get caught up in the business of everything , the tendency of being alert to why you are here as a teacher is lost , so it is very important to know why you are here & who you are serving.

Of coz as a teacher there are times we are let down by our kids, just like Jesus, tired , angry and disappointed by the way the Pharisees were leading their lives, but I also remember a story.
One day a man had a fight with his friend and while asleep he met Jesus in his dream and he asked Jesus "master, to what extend do i have to love and forgive." Jesus walked away and just than his alarm clock went off and he was awoken. Disappointed he woke up change and went to work. Along the way he saw a chapel & thought he might try his luck at asking God again. But as he opened the door the answer appeared right in his face. Jesus had his arm outstretch on the cross & with the crown of thorns on his hear and a pierced side. He than understood it all. "To Love as Christ has Loved , To forgive as He has." Disappointed Jesus may have been with the Pharisees, but he still died on the cross for those who do not love him.



No comments: